Join Cumbria Chess Association Online Club here.
23rd October 2018
John Toothill Memorial Correspondence Chess Tournament
The English Federation are organising a Memorial tournament for John Toothill whom you knew well. Although he hadn't played correspondence chess for quite some time, his CC achievements in the 1970's & 1980's deserve recognition. In view of his connection with Cumbria, we felt it was appropriate to ask the Cumbria Chess Association if they would like to nominate someone to take part?
tournament will be 13 players, played on the ICCF server, starting December
2018 with 10 moves in 40 days time control. It will be a Minor Category
players will be rated in the region 2100-2200. ICCF Title Norms will be
available (CCE & CCM). I know it is unlikely you will find someone wishing
to play CC but you never
know! Could you let me know by 3 November at the latest please? That gives me
time to ask others if you are unable to find a player.
NB Please contact Jonathan Rashleigh ASAP if you are interested on the following email address -
22nd October 2018
Cumbria Team Rapid Play
The Results for the Cumbria Team Rapid Play held at the Crown Hotel, Eamont Bridge, Penrith on Saturday 13th October can be seen below and on the Tournaments Page.
Board 1 : Dave Phillips (Windermere)
Board 2 : John Kelly (Castles)
Board 3 : Paul Rivers (Castles)
Board 1 : Robin Moss (Castles)
Board 2 : Bill Burgess (Oddfellows)
Board 3 : Fred Clough (Penrith A)
Board 1 : Martin Gawne (Leave em laughing)
Board 2 : Andy McAtear (Penrith B)
Board 3 : Jonathan Rashleigh (Windermere)
19th October 2018
NCCU Club Championship
The NCCU Club Championship will be held during the first half of 2019.
The Sections of the Championship will comprise the following:
- Open: Open to all players
- Major: Total grading limit (4 players) 680 Average top 2 boards 180
- Minor: Total grading limit (4 players) 520 Average top 2 boards 140
- Seniors: Open Team Championship (4 players) Average age at least 55 years
If enough teams enter a particular section, there could be a jamboree event at a central venue, if the teams agree.
All NCCU and Northern Clubs can enter - £10 per team.
A third team entering from the same club would only pay £5.
A team comprising three juniors â€â€Å“ free to enter.
Winners of each Section to receive an NCCU Trophy and a Digital Clock.
The NCCU Club Rules will be adhered to with particular reference to the following:
- All players must be ECF Members
- All teams must be affiliated to a County Association
- All teams must be members of recognised Chess Clubs
Teams wishing to enter should contact Keith Smith, the NCCU Club Championship Organiser -
9th October 2018
Please note that games have to be played prior to, or within 4 weeks and 1 day of the fixture date as in the Open League. So the last day for Round 2 matches to be played by is by Saturday 8th December so plenty of time !
9th October 2018
Cumbria County Matches
The following email had been sent out by our County Match Captain Andy McAteer -
If you or any of your club members are interested, please contact me. Please be aware that the organiser will be expecting entries imminently, so the sooner I get replies, the sooner I know whether or not we can enter a team.
..........Andy. (Cumbria Match Captain)
6th October 2018
Also, for those of you who do not already know, the email addresses are not text but pictures, again to frustrate the baddies.
13th September 2018
Please note that games have to be played prior to, or within 4 weeks and 1 day of the fixture date as in the Open League. So the last day for Round 1 matches to be played by is Saturday 27th October.
9th September 2018
Digital Chess Clocks
Phil Walters has suggested that anyone looking for a digital chess clock should have a look at the Leap Digital Chess Clock (FIDE Approved) sold by Chess Direct.
Worth a look !
7th September 2018
Cumbria Team Rapid Play
The Cumbria Team Rapid Play for 2018 will be held at the Crown Hotel, Eamont Bridge, Penrith on Saturday 13th October.
Full details and the entry form can be seen here and on the Tournaments Page.
7th September 2018
Following the EGM the Constitution has the following changes.
4(2) f) For the Club Open League the fixture must be played prior to the fixture date or within 4 weeks and 1 day of that date. For the Cumbria South League, matches shall be played as near as can be agreed to the stipulated date.
4(2) g) Exceptions to rule f above will require the permission of the League Controller. Shortage of available players or non-availability of the normal playing venue shall not constitute a reason for the match not be arranged within the stipulated time.
In order to establish the date upon which a fixture will be played the home
team captain must contact the away team captain prior to the fixture date with
the intention of agreeing a match date. If a mutually agreed date cannot be
made the home team captain should formally offer two reasonable dates, one of
which the away team captain should accept.
If the match is not played within the stipulated period and no team has a win by default, then no points are scored for either team unless the League Controller has already agreed an exception.
(3) c) The match date shall be arranged between the captains of the two teams
on the same basis as for fixtures played in the Club Open League as set out in
rules 4(2)f to 4(2)h above.
See the whole document here and on the Library Page.
Please note -
7th September 2018
The fixtures can be seen on the Fixtures Page.
Sorry to report that Sasra have had to drop out. Barrow have replaced them in the fixtures.
Please note -
For the Open League, and the Whitaker, games are to be played prior to, or within 4 weeks and 1 day of the fixture date.
27th August 2018
The following email has been received from Matt Bridgemann - who once played at Kendal for a few weeks with his daughter Niamh.
Niamh has recently been selected to play at the World Cadets Championship in Santiago De Compostela, Spain between the 3rd and 16th November. She'll be going in the 11 round, Under 12 Girls event. We've put together a crowd funding page at the Just Giving website to help fund the trip. The ECF have provided an estimated cost, not including flights, of over £2800 for Niamh and an accompanying adult to attend the championship. Pretty steep! If you and Bill could perhaps arrange for the link to be put on the Lancashire and Cumbria Chess websites (and Twitter) it might help Niamh's cause.
Here's the link;
13th August 2018
That does not allow much time, so if the rules still say that the Home Captain has to contact the away team 2 weeks before fixture date, I think that for this first fixture we will have to be flexible and just do the best we can.
I may have to change some things depending on what is decided at the Special General Meeting.
15th August 2018
Special General Meeting Saturday 1st September
The following email has been sent to all Association & Club Members-
Dear Association Officers and Club Secretaries
In conformance with the Cumbria Chess Association Constitution, I attach an agenda providing 14 days notice of a Special General Meeting of the Association which has been requested by more than 12 Association members representing more than 3 affiliated clubs.
The meeting will be held Saturday 1st September as the Crown Hotel at Eamont Bridge commencing at 2pm.
The single agenda item will be to discuss proposals to change the rules for establishing the dates upon which fixtures in the Open League will be played. The current rules in section 4 or the Constitution were put in place following decisions taken at the 2018 Annual General Meeting. The current version of the Constitution is available on the Association website.
As at Annual General Meetings, voting at the Special General Meeting will be by show of hands of those present.
This notice will also be posted on the Association website.
Jonathan Rashleigh - Secretary
See the Agenda here and on the Library Page, for full details.
13th August 2018
Club Memberships 2018-19.
Club Secretaries to post their club Membership list, Cumbria and ECF Membership fees (where appropriate) to the Cumbria Membership Secretary.
Address to send fees: Dave Cole, 26 St Quintin Ave, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA13 9HB. Email membership list to email@example.com
See the form here and on the Library Page, for full details.
6th August 2018
County Chess and Games Page.
Please note that Andy McAtear is now running the County Chess Page and the Games Page.
These are not under CumbriaChess.com so there is a very small delay.
Please send Andy any games for publishing. I am sure he will be pestering you all in the near future !
26th July 2018
July 2018 Grades
The July ECF grades have now been issued and can be seen on the ECF Grading page.
The Top 10 grades
|Stavros Karampatos||Carlisle Austin Friars||189|
|Michael L Green||Carlisle Austin Friars||186|
|Tamsin Jones||Carlisle Austin Friars||168|
Congragulations to Stavros on leading the table ( again ) !
20th July 2018
Chess in Schools
John Lydon from Carlisle Chess Club is now working with the Chess in Schools programme and has made a start with Upperby School in Carlisle.
He would like to draw attention to the Chess in Schools website. Please have a look.
Their Mission Statement -
17th July 2018
The 2017 constitution has been released and can be seen here, and on the Library Page.
A summary of changes -
- In the Whitaker the away teams will have White on odd boards as in League matches.
- Clive Hutchby of Keswick takes the post of Publicity Officer.
- The grades to be eligible for the Greenhalgh trophy of the Cumbria Individuals is to be set by the championship organiser in future.
- Proposals put forward at the AGM require a seconder which must not come from the same club as the originator of the motion. Amendments to the motion must be related to and not alter the original intention of the motion, to be valid.
- For the Open League and the Whitaker, the stipulated fixture dates shall be on an appropriate Saturday and the fixture must be played on that date or within the 6 days following that date. For the Cumbria South League, matches shall be played as near as can be agreed to the stipulated date.
In order to agree the date upon which a fixture will be played, the following rules must be observed:
- The home team captain must contact the away team captain at least two weeks before the stipulated fixture date to try and agree a date and offering at least one date. If this does not occur then the away team captain can claim the match by default.
- The away team captain must respond at least one week before the stipulated fixture date, accepting an offered date or to negotiate with the home team captain another mutually agreeable date. If this does not occur then the home team captain can claim the match by default.
- If a mutually agreeable date cannot be established, the home team captain must contact the away team captain offering two dates which do not have to include any previously offered date, one of which the away team captain has to accept. This offer of two dates must be made at least 4 days before the first of these offered dates
- The offered dates should be on the basis of a 1pm or 2pm start for matches to be played at a weekend or 7pm or 7:30pm for matches to be played on weekday or other times by mutual agreement.
- For the purposes of the above rules, email is a valid form of contact and where possible documentary evidence should be retained in support of any potential default claim.
- If the home team premises or a suitable alternative for the home venue are not available, then the home team must offer to play the match at the away team venue
- If the game is played more than 6 days after the original fixture date no points shall be scored for either team unless the League Controller has already agreed an exception.
Other points -
- An Open League v South League match was suggested.
- The Cumbria Individuals for 2019 will be held at Shap Memorial Hall on the weekend of 5th-7th of April.
11th July 2018
NCCU PENNINE CUP.
Saturday, 6th October 10:30am-6:30pm
Full details and the entry form here.
Note. A list of tournaments including junior ones can be seen on the Tournaments Page.
9th July 2018
Chess.com Cumbria Chess
John Kelly of Carlisle has created a Cumbria Chess Association Online Club at Chess.com and can be accessed here.
Are you a Cumbrian Chess Player? Then join our online club to play and chat with fellow players across Cumbria.
us know who you are and request membership to access our Tournaments, Matches
25th June 2018
Cumbria Individuals 2019
The Cumbria Individuals for 2019 will be held at Shap Memorial Hall on the weekend of 5th-7th of April.
23rd June 2018
Cumbria Chess AGM
In the Whitaker the away teams will have White on odd boards as in League matches.
Clive Hutchby of Keswick takes the post of Publicity Officer.
Full minutes will follow.
Barrow A won the South League.
Penrith 1 won the Whitaker.
Dave Siddall won the Cumbria Individual.
19th June 2018
NCCU AGM Minutes.
16th June 2018
Cumbria Chess AGM
Don't forget !
Our AGM is next Saturday 23rd June at the Crown Hotel, Eamont Bridge 2pm.
Please check the following -
13th June 2018
22nd South Lakes 2018 Prize Winners
OPEN £300 M Surtees
=2nd £50 T Wall, A Richardson , J Burnett,
MAJOR =1st £225 D Lovejoy, K Potter,
£15 =Grading prize R Clegg, C Heald J Cawston, S Potter
£30 Best Cumbria player D Siddall
INTERMEDIATE =1st £90 M Connor, T Dickerson, M Beardsley, S Clare, D Newell,
£30 Grading prize C Carey, S Parry
£30 Best Cumbria player C Dodd (see note(i) below)
MINOR =1st £90 Andy Kelly, D Scorer, P Coleman, Alan Kelly. G Miller
£30 Grading prize P Jackson , R Bohm
£30 Best Cumbria player B Henderson
Note(i) The Cumbria prize cannot be shared and goes to the lowest grade on the same points.For full results see here and on the Tournaments Page.
Carlisle world chess tour reaches the South Lakes.
10th May 2018
Cumbria Chess AGM
The following email was sent to Cumbria Chess Secretaries on the 5th May. Hopefully all Cumbria Club members have all received it !
If not, please let me and your secretary know.
Dear Officers and Club Secretaries
The 2018 Annual General Meeting of the Cumbria Chess Association
will take place on Saturday 23rd June at the Crown Hotel, Eamont
Bridge commencing at 2pm.
Please let me know before 31st May of any proposals for change or other items that your Club would like to be included in the agenda. The final meeting agenda will be circulated in the first week of June.